17.6.15

sand and sea




I'm running out of time sadly because I started just a tad too late for my teacher knitting marathon. Nevertheless, this is #2 of four I wanted to knit, the third will be coming off the needles pretty soon as it happens and I'm so excited about it, that's the one I'm going to struggle to say goodbye to. 

I'm having a great time back in my knitting saddle but this time around I'm fitting it in amongst other commitments, as opposed to the other way round! This little shawlette, Sand and Sea by Alana Dakos, was such a satisfying little project. Quickly done with lots of wrapping and turning, which I love doing but had to watch on YouTube because it's been a year since I'd done it last and couldn't trust my memory. Of course it all came back to me and I enjoyed every single stitch. 

The main colour is lace weight CashSilk by Sweet Georgia (Vancouver based so I took a little visit there with a friend a couple of years ago to choose direct from the production line) which I found beautiful to work with, although it grew somewhat during the blocking process. Then I edged it with MadTosh Sock to give it body and weight which worked a dream. More pics and details are here on Ravelry

Well, there is a sudden air of excitement in this house let me tell you. The Model and I are jetting over to the UK very soon to visit friends and family and we are jumping with joy and anticipation. Not for the long haul travel, though the idea of a knit fest makes up for it, that's for sure. Hmmm, I need a shawl pattern to keep me occupied and am thinking worthy contenders could be this, this or maybe even this. Any ideas?

20 comments:

  1. Oh my, the colours you've chosen lend thenselves beautifully to the pattern! Enjoy your UK visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a fabulous trip. We've been enjoying great weather here on the NE coast of England but there's sometimes a chill in the wind. I think the Kate Davies shawl you linked to would be perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, that shawl really would be perfect. And thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Well all I can say is LUCKY teachers!!! Beautiful work Kate!
    Have a wonderful trip to the UK and as for the travel knitting, they are all wonderful but I have to say in my eyes Kate Davies can do no wrong! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivienne xx . And yes, that Kate Davies shawl really is a winner!

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely colours. London had 26degrees last week so hopefully you'll get nice weather. Here in Dublin, if it hits 20, they say it's a heatwave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I hope you're getting an ongoing heatwave then! And thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Oh Kate, it's a gorgeous shawl. How exciting to be traveling home, I can feel your excitement all the way down here! ;)
    The Stripe Study Shawl is really pretty and I may have to cast on one myself. Right now I am knitting Waters Edge by Cabinfour and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. We've arrived, complete with yarn for two shawls although not an awful lot of knitting is happening I have to say. Waters Edge is a beautiful shawl too, looking forward to seeing yours :)

      Delete
  6. I do like your color sense, and thank you for the intro to that lovely CashSilk yarn. Always fun to discover a new source of temptation. Now I do envy you that upcoming UK trip. For knitting on the journey, I like all your possibilities, but would choose door number three.

    Over here at my place, I am reading so many books, but also trying to fit in some time each day to work on my current Fair Isle project. If I did not love my sleeping hours so much, I might be getting more reading and knitting done. And...of course, there is my workaday hours that also impinge on these joys.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Frances. I am trying to knit, read books and take a holiday all at the same time right now. Sadly the jetlag is not helping with the sleeping though. I envy you with yours!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and exquisite.....Avelina

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Love the colours - makes me think of the sea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bekah, I guess it's aptly named then :) I'm pleased you love the colours!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! Such pretty colours... I am itching to start a shawl with a contrast edge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs R. There's something really satisfying about contrast edges in a shawl I think :)

      Delete
  10. I've missed you, your beautiful knits and lovely words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Andi, that's a happy comment :)
      I'm coming over to see you!!

      Delete

There's nothing like a comment to stop me feeling like I'm talking to myself. If you leave one here I'll pop one back here too, so don't forget to come back and continue the conversation ..

,